Learn more about

Adjustment of Immigration Status

Although a surviver´s immigration status may present certain challenges, they do have rights. There are different types of immigration status protections for victims of domestic violence.

Undocumented survivors have access to a number of options for adjusting their immigration status. These include: - VAWA is an option for survivors of domestic violence who are married to a US citizen or a permanent resident. -U Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that was created by the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Prevention Act to protect victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, felonious assault, trafficking and other serious crimes. -T Visa is an option for survivors who are in the US due to human trafficking. -Asylum status can be granted to those who fear persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. -SIJS stands for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status for Child Victims. This is an option for children who are victims of abuse, abandonment or neglect by one or both parents. References that were used for this page include vawnet.org, maintained by the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, and the 2012 Guide entitled, “Immigration Relief for Victims of Abuse and Domestic Violence: Practitioners Guide to Serving Non-Citizens.”

Contact Us

Un Nuevo Despertar - A New Awakening is registered as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

Please consider joining our mailing list

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2023 Un Nuevo Despertar - A New Awakening (UND-ANA) All Rights Reserved.

Spanish »